Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alicia Made Me a Geek

Bendis has really been on a roll for the past few years.

It almost pains me to say it, but New Avengers has been at least as good as Justice League for a while now. Secret Invasion has some weak moments, but overall I thought it held up well despite it's printing delays, better than most limited series over the past few years have fared.

Now, Final Crisis had a few stellar moments, but I thought overall it was a convoluted and confusing. It suffered from a lack of focus. That, or it was the most poorly directed and constructed manifestation I've come across since... well, since Infinite Crisis. Seriously, I have no fucking clue what actually happened in that book aside from Superboy (Prime) throwing a hissy fit and The Freedom Fighters getting the shit kicked out of them. Shame about that, but really - what the fuck changed aside from the (much delayed!) revelation that the Multiverse still exists? Nada. Conner Kent is dead. Who cares aside from the Titans? Not me.

Okay, back to Final Crisis though. The whole event had too much going on and on such a huge sale and it became too easy to lose focus on the plot. Hell, I'm not quite sure what happened on the first four issues. I'm going back and re-reading it, but I think Morrisson attempted to create something so huge that the typical (DCU) reader was going to find elements of it (at best) hasty, but more frequently jumbled and what I perceived as poorly-realized.

Don't get me wrong. I'll pick DC over Marvel any day. While Green Arrow has gone down the tubes, Ollie Queen is still my dude for life. But all I'm saying is that Nick Fury and the kids in his tree-house look like they're having a good time too.

I'd rather read Morrisson's worst Batman issue than Bendis's best Mighty Avengers though. The past two years were some of the best Bruce Wayne fodder since Jeph Loeb was commanding the cowl, but I admittedly haven't read all of R.I.P. do to two missing back issues. Sad, I know... especially after reading Final Crisis #6...

Double-U - Tee - Eff?



Also, I have to say; I'm stoked on the Gaiman arc.

STOKED.


Alright, with all of that said - let it be known that my love for the DCU would not exist had I not fallen for the inhabitants of the Vertigo Universe. It would be difficult to ignore the fact that Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso's amazing 100 Bullets series is coming to a close this month. It's been nearly twelve years in the making, and it can almost be guaranteed that the series will come to fruition as either a film or television series in the near future. A video game adaptation is already in the works, but I don't particularly care about that. I just want to know what the fuck is going to happen to Dizzy, Loops, Graves, and anyone else who's survived this long.

No comments: